Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Warm Colors + Smoothies = Spring


Color Inspiration - Citrus

Candyland framed art paintingColor Inspiration ~ Citrus
"Energy Boost: Tropical colors uplift and energize." {BHG Feb 2011 issue}


Picnik collage

and again from You Are My Fave
Picnik collage
photos by Grant Cornett for Real Simple

We’ve been on a major smoothie kick and have been blending and drinking one for breakfast every morning. I usually do not choose to drink my calories (who would rather have a can of soda over a cookie?) but smoothies are the exception. I find that they’re a good way to get several servings of fruits and sometimes veggies. The usual is about a cup of frozen strawberries (I buy them fresh, when they’re on sale and stick them in the freezer), half a banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, a handful of spinach (you can’t taste it but it adds nutrients), 1/2 cup plain yogurt (less sugar), 1 cup milk. Sometimes I add in a little dab of orange juice concentrate for a zing.
The reason for this post? I’m wondering if you have any smart suggestions for different combos I can try or smart additions. Plus I’m loving the color combo inspiration. Shoot, am I getting boring?


via marta writes



via Just Cook Already

Ingredients
5 oranges
2 lemons
3 limes
1 grapefruit
2 tbsp. sugar substitute (I use Truvia.  You can use regular sugar as well)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups crushed ice

Directions
Peel all of the fruit.  I know, I know, it's kind of a lot of prep work but I think it's worth it.  I like things pulpy, so it definitely made the difference for me.
Add all the fruit to your blender.
Blend away until smooth (or you can leave it a little pulpy like I do).  Once the fruit is blended, add the sugar, vanilla, and ice.  Blend again.  Serve, and enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Baby

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Analytics